Thursday, August 14, 2008

"i'm no island...peninsula maybe"

For my first blog post EVER I would like to highlight some songs that have carried me through my last year or so of life. These are songs that have made me feel incredibly happy or incredibly sad, songs I could not help but dance to, songs that made me stop in my tracks, sit and.or lay down and just simply listen, and songs that I annoyingly played on repeat in my house.car.workplace.etc.

1. Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You) by UGK feat. Outkast - seriously, this song has not worn on me at all, I still play it every time I am on a road trip at least 3 times.

2. Sleep Head by Passion Pit - there is something strange about people you went to school with starting to have real and tangible success, I suppose it is equivalent to how people older than me feel when all of their college buddies start getting engaged or having babies.

3. Skinny Love by Bon Iver - I have always really wanted to be able to sing, which is not to say that I can't sing, I mean I can hold a tune...I'm certainly not tone deaf by any stretch of the imagination, but really what I am getting at is that more than wanting to sing, I have always wanted to be able to sing like a man. I would want to sing like those men with vulnerability in their voice, ones that crack and warble...this song makes me want to sing like such a man more than any I've heard in a long time.

4. So Long to the Headstrong by Fleet Foxes - There is a line in this song that goes "of all the places I've laid down my head, I think of two I regret" and that is all I have to say about that one...

5. Nantes by Beirut - This is the first Beirut song that I really fell in love with and I first heard a live version of it he did walking down some street in Paris or somewhere equally as cultured and exotic, and of course by exotic I just mean not American, but it's just a gorgeous song especially when the whole band comes in and it's loud and lush. The idea behind it is just so complicatedly simple.

6. Glosoli by Sigur Ros - This song just helps me fall asleep...every time, and that is worth a lot to me.

7. So Sorry by Feist - Who doesn't want to be Feist? I know I do...

8. Electric Feel by MGMT - "I love that song 'Kids'" "No...no....'Time to Pretend'" No fuck all of you, Electric Feel is where it's at...

9. Dead and Lovely by Tom Waits - What's more romantic than dying in the moonlight? Can you tell me?

10. Whalebones by Man Man - I think this band is amazing, they are amazing live and on record, it's fun, it's weird, it's interesting, and even though they are great at making chaotic and reckless sounding messes of songs, I think they also do amazing slower, stripped down ballads. But of course I am using the word ballad loosely. Anyways, this song is off of the newer album and I think it's even the last track...and it definitely stuck with me

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is not your first blogpost! there's a little thing called lgay...still, man, everyone is on the blog train now. and i'm stuck at the station. ohhhhhhh metaphors.

Unknown said...

nice... some of these I don't I'm gunna check out!

hope all is swell..

-jk